Friday, December 12, 2008

30 Pounds of Spuds


That's what we peeled on Wednesday at Judy's house. (Just one of several potato preparation stations held in town this week...) We were in the beginning stages of lefse making for Saturday's Christmas bazaar at First Lutheran. Lefse, a Norwegian wrapping bread, is thin like a crepe and can be filled with sandwich fixings, dessert treats or whatever you like. We sat at Judy's counter and peeled, sliced, cooked and then riced the potatoes. Next, they are cooled before flour, butter, salt and sugar are added.

Yesterday, I stopped by the church to see the rolling and griddling in action. The electric lefse griddles were interesting contraptions (see above) that make the frying much easier. The best part, of course, was that I got my first taste of lefse, and it was yummy - a cross between a German pancake and a crepe.

Today, I'll be back at the church adding butter and cinnamon to some of the lefse. I hope there are more samples available for this East Coast lefse apprentice... (Hey, it sure beats suet fishing!)

No comments: