Sunday, October 19, 2008

Rainy Sunday

The weather outside my window is true SE Alaska from what I've been told. The wind is whipping the branches, and it's pouring. The temperature this morning was in the forties. Believe it or not, I like it. We have the wood stove going, and it's very cozy inside. I love the cooler weather, and the rain makes me feel like I have an excuse to goof off - work on the Sunday crossword puzzle, finish the so-so book I'm reading or crochet some more of the baby blanket I'm working on.

Last week, I was excited to finish the first draft of a picture book manuscript. Last year was such a lost year with selling the house and moving, that I didn't accomplish much writing-wise. So, to actually finish a manuscript was a big deal. Now I'm on about draft #50 and hope to have it wrapped up by next week.

Last night was the Monthly Grind. It's a town talent show held at the Saxman Tribal House south of town which contains a stunning carved "screen" which is sort of like a wall of totems. This screen also serves as a backdrop for the stage. The rest of the large room is rustic with benches along the walls and a stepped down, pit area in the center where folding chairs are set up. Last night's line-up featured a preview of Pirates of Penzance, the First City Player's performance for November, tap dancing and several musical acts. It also happened to be Alaska Day which commemorates Alaska Statehood. (It's interesting how I'm indirectly learning all these facts about Alaska... I couldn't tell you when PA became a state!) Some skits and songs celebrated the regions of Alaska.

One of the best parts about the Grind is the dessert table. There's a contest for best desserts and if you bring one, you get your money back for one ticket. Attendees bring an amazing array of goodies. I tasted some yummy cookies, cakes and even an apple torte. Amazingly, there's enough for everyone to have samples.

No comments: