Thursday, April 9, 2009

Snowshoeing in April





No, this is not a delayed April Fool's joke.

In the town of Ketchikan, the snow is mostly gone, and I think it will get to the high forties, low fifties today because the sun is out. But this morning, my friend, Jan (and of course her terrific dog, Lenny - that's him playing in the snow!) went up north a bit where the snow is very slowly melting.

Jan had an extra pair of snowshoes, so I tried them out. The area where we were hiking had deep drifts, and it would have been impossible to hike there without snowshoes. We would have sunk right down in. Which is exactly what I did when I got out of the truck and tried to climb over a drift to find a flat area to put on the snowshoes. I sunk in almost up to my thighs!

1 comment:

Marf said...

Where did you go? Harriot Hunt?